What problems does a CNC retrofit solve?
As an informed asset owner/operator you are aware of your options:
- Replace the machine tool with a new machine
- Scrap the machine and outsource the work
- Retrofit the machine tool
Whilst the replacement machine tool would address all of the problems of the machine tool, it is very costly to purchase a new machine tool. Not to mention the foundation for a heavy machine tool. The lead time of machine tools also needs to be considered, typically being made to order.
Outsourcing the works may be an option in the short term, however over the long term you will lose your competitive edge due to:
- Increased costs due to sub-contractor’s profit margin and transport costs
- Loss of quality control
A CNC retrofit could be the answer to your problems. A CNC retrofit is much cheaper than buying a new machine tool and offers many of the same benefits.
The key benefits of a CNC Retrofit are:
- Low cost, Quick Return on Investment (ROI)
A CNC retrofit typically costs less than 15-30% of replacement value of the machine. The ROI is typically less than 12 months!
- Machine availability
A key driver for a retrofit is poor machine availability due to breakdowns – a well executed retrofit will drastically improve machine availability by replacing troublesome components
- Machine safety functions are bought up to current standards
- Reduce maintenance costs
- Reduced downtimes
- Reduced mean time to repair
- Improved reliability
- Readily available spares
- Improved programming and user interface
New machining cycles and graphic user interface drastically reduces time spent programming and increases time spent making swarf.
- Faster machining cycles for complex parts
- Greater productivity
More availability, easier programming, faster cycles all lead to an increase in productivity
Additional benefits of a CNC Retrofit include:
- Greater precision and surface finish
- Improved capability
Need an extra axis? An indexing table perhaps? Live tooling for your lathe? This is easily incorporated into a retrofit and will drastically improve your machine capability.
- Increases asset life, thereby leveraging initial investment
- Short downtime if using an experienced retrofit partner, such as ASAP Power
- Reliable data management and increased storage capacity
- Networked machines can be linked to the data processing environment
ASAP Power has significant experience with retrofitting all kinds of machine tools, including:
- Machining Centres
- Vertical Borers
- Horizontal Borers
- Gear Shapers
- Gear Hobbers
- Spline Hobbers
See a recent case study here.
A tailor made solution. We will work with you to determine what the best options are for your machine.
We can offer a wide variety of options including low cost solutions where only the bare minimum is replaced.
ASAP Power is Perth’s premier CNC retrofit solution partner. Find out why most machine shops trust ASAP Power to service their CNC retrofit needs. Contact us today to discuss your requirements.
Sinumerik CNC Retrofit Video